Thursday, September 17, 2015

Mega Drive Homebrew Super Mario Bros. Longplay

A quick little longplay testing a homebrew port of Super Mario Bros. running on the Mega Drive.


It's a really solid port for the most part, the momentum and hit detection isn't 100% true to the original, I'd say it fluctuates between 98-99% accurate which is still exemplary good.
I did however notice that it was significantly more unresponsive than the original on Entertainment System, this caused a LOT of deaths, especially later in the game where precision and timing becomes even more important.
There was a lot of swearing coming from me on the final stages when I was pressing the jump button and nothing happened, it did ultimately lead to a very suspenseful ending though so that's alright.

I used a warp because I never liked the majority of levels I skipped, they're just lazy copy&paste of earlier levels with some more stuff to avoid anyway, and the few that are new are just annoying mazes and I don't like their repetitive nature. As far as I'm concerned, I did us all a favor by skipping them.

This was recorded using only the Kega Fusion emulator and played using a classic PSX controller via USB converter.

No comments:

Post a Comment